Brown sugar glazed salmon has been my go to when it comes to preparing salmon. I love sweet and savory flavors especially on my salmon. In the past, I’ve kept it pretty basic or used store prepared marinades, but this beats them all!
We’ve tried this recipe on the grill as well as in the oven and I have to say the grill trumps everything for me. The brown sugar caramelizes to create crispy edges. Yum!!
You can get this same effect in the oven by broiling your salmon for a minute or two once it’s done. However, I will caution you because salmon that’s overcooked can be very dry.
How do you make Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon?
As I mentioned above, if you’re going to cook your salmon on the grill, I would suggest using a cedar plank which you can find in most grocery stores. Soak your plank in cold water for a minimum of 2 hours before placing it on the grill. You’ll cook it on indirect heat with your grill set to medium-high for about 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees.
If you are cooking your salmon in the oven, you can use several methods. You can roast it in a roasting or sheet pan with parchment paper or you can use the cedar plank. If you choose to go with the cedar plank, you’ll still need to soak your plank ahead of time. This time around, I used my parchment paper.
Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
- 1 lb fresh Salmon filet
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse salmon with cold water and pat dry. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and place your salmon on top.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all your ingredients together to create a sauce. Pour on top of your salmon covering the top completely.
- Bake for 10-15 until the salmon is flaky. If you would like crispier edges, turn on your broiler and bake for an additional minute or two just until brown and crisp.
Is this not the easiest and most flavorful salmon? You’ll definitely want to make this a staple for dinners! Let me know in the comments or on my Instagram @homeonpoplarcreek your thoughts on this recipe.
Until next time,