This light and airy strawberry cream cheese puff pastry with a lemon glaze comes together in just minutes and is perfect for breakfast or snack!Jump to Recipe
Lately I’ve been obsessed with puff pastries. From sweet to savory and everything in between, I have tried it all. This week I wanted to put together a light snack for the family but of course I didn’t want to spend a ton of time making it.
I love the flakiness of puff pastry dough because it’s never too heavy and doesn’t leave you feeling full. I’m sure I’ll be sharing more puff pastry light snack recipes soon especially as the summer gets closer.
I had some leftover puff pastry in the freezer and a ton of strawberries. I also raided the fridge to see what else I could use for our strawberry puff pastry snack. I found a half container of cream cheese and a lemon so I figured this would be a great time to use them both.
Key Ingredients for Strawberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry with Lemon Glaze
- Frozen Puff Pastry – Since we’re all about quick and easy over here, store bought frozen puff pastry sheet does the trick. And the best part is it bakes up in 15 minutes!
- Fresh Strawberries – We always have fresh strawberries on hand but I think any berry would work in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese – The added cream cheese mixture breaks up the sweetness of the icing and also makes these pastries reminiscent of a cheese danish.
- Powdered Sugar – Used to make the lemon glaze and sweeten the cream cheese.
- Vanilla Extract – Perfect to add flavor to the cream cheese.
- Fresh Lemon – Fresh is always best! Adding fresh lemon juice to your glaze gives it a bright flavor.
- Milk – Milk is needed to make our lemon glaze.
What Type of Fruit Can I Use in Cream Cheese Puff Pastries?
While my pastries used strawberries, I think there are so many possibilities for your pastry. Here are a few flavor combinations you can try:
- Berry Blend – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
- Apple – sliced apples coated in cinnamon and brown sugar
As I mentioned before, fresh is always best! While I haven’t tried using frozen fruit I imagine it may become mushy and water down your pastry.
looking for more easy dessert recipes?
Strawberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry with Lemon Glaze
For the Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 4-5 fresh strawberries sliced thinly
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- juice from half lemon
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- lemon zest
- Allow pastry dough to thaw at room temperature or according package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut dough into 9 even squares. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Place an even spoonful of cream cheese in the center of each dough square (about 1 tbsp). Spread cream cheese evenly on dough, leaving space around the sides.
- Slice strawberries into thin slices and place 3-4 on top of cream cheese. Place pastries on parchment lined baking sheet, spacing evenly apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
- While pastries are cooling prepare the glaze. Sift powdered sugar into a medium sized bowl. Whisk in 2 tbsp of milk and juice from half lemon until well combined. Glazed should be smooth and easy to drizzle. If needed, add more milk to thin glaze or more powdered sugar by the tbsp to thicken.
- Drizzle glaze over pastries and top with fresh lemon zest. Serve and enjoy!
So what do you think about this super easy breakfast or dessert pastry? What fruit flavors will you try? Let me know down in the comments!
Until next time,